It’s a long way from the time of the tape camera! With the advent of digitisation, many areas have been digitised to become equipment that is both affordable and highly technological. This is notably the case of the 360 camera, i.e. the camera that can film at 360 degrees. In appearance, nothing exceptional, but this cam is both a concentrate of innovation and efficiency. We therefore present the best models in our comparison before letting you discover the dedicated buying guide, which will give you more information on how to buy the equipment that might suit you.
- 1. THE 360 RICOH THETA V CAMERA
- 2. THE 360 KODAK PIXPRO VR CAMERA
- 3. THE PIXPRO SP360 KODAK 360 CAMERA
- 4. THE INSTA360 ONE X ACTION CAMERA
- 5. THE SAMSUNG NEW GEAR 360 ACTION CAMERA
- 6. THE 360 DEGREE CAMERA BOSCH F01U316304
- 7. THE CAM 360 GARMIN VIRB 360
- 8. THE CAM 360
- 9. THE 360°
- 360 CAMERA BUYING GUIDE: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO BUY IT!
Comparison of the best 360 cameras: our selection
The comparison was based on two parameters. Firstly, the technical characteristics, which are of course important when it comes to technological equipment. Secondly, we focused on consumer and customer opinions, which allow us to obtain a synthesis of opinions in a situation that is very useful for the analysis.
1. THE 360 RICOH THETA V CAMERA
The quality of this camera is certain, but the price is just as certain, so we advise you to consider your budget constraints, but also your needs, as this machine is not necessarily suitable!
WHAT DO CONSUMERS SAY?
Consumers are clearly delighted with the model, although they warn that it is not specifically aimed at someone who is not very experienced with this type of device. They place particular emphasis on the device’s connectivity, offering not only very good compatibility, but above all great network speed and stability thanks to greatly improved firmware. And so customers say “hats off”!
- Possibility to choose several versions of the product: camera only, with the waterproof case, with the microphone, with the protective cover… Item 2
- High picture quality thanks to 4K UHD recording
- The sound is equivalent in terms of quality, boosted by spatial recording.
- Pictures and videos can be transferred quickly with the WiFi connection.
- The two sensors of the device each display 12 megapixels on the counter.
- Includes specific features for professional use
- Image quality is preserved even in low light with little or no noise.
- Connectivity is a big plus in this model, with unprecedented stability.
- At this price, it’s a shame not to find more than 12 megapixels per sensor
- No possibility to integrate an additional micro SD card
Keep in mind that this equipment will not be suitable for anyone looking for a 360 cam. Indeed, it is more comfortable with experienced people, even in a professional context; and although the megapixels are a little light, the camera compensates very well thanks to a display quality among the best. In conclusion, it is very difficult to find faults in it, and the equipment is therefore seriously to be considered.
2. THE 360 KODAK PIXPRO VR CAMERA
The well known leader in photography proves its great expertise in the field by unveiling a qualitative model.
WHAT DO CONSUMERS SAY?
While there is a lack of comments in France for this model, there are many more across the Channel. And it must be acknowledged that Kodak has been able to offer a very good action camera that customers, while acknowledging that the price is not given, greatly value the technical features, especially with the 4K UHD display.
- Excellent image resolution in 4K Ultra HD Item 2
- Integrates the VR function
- Each lens offers 20 megapixel resolution for optimal image reproduction
- Can connect to social networks to broadcast live photos or videos!
- Integrates predefined capture angles to create real action scenes!
- The Pixpro application is the control center of the machine, for downloading, viewing, sharing…
- The Lithium-Ion construction of the battery provides excellent durability.
- Includes a protective cover, lens protection and tripod mount
- The price is important, but is largely justified by the technical characteristics of the product.
It is certainly an ultra qualitative device that is presented to us… and the price is equivalent to what one can expect! Fortunately, the machine is well worth it, in the sense that it is a complete product: total and simplified management via the application, quality shots, sharing on social networks, solid manufacturing … The assets are numerous and certainly make it a model of the most balanced among the higher ranges.
3. THE PIXPRO SP360 KODAK 360 CAMERA
Fortunately, the price-quality ratio is very convincing!
WHAT DO CONSUMERS SAY?
Consumers across the Channel are proving to be a veritable mine of information. They say that the device performs very well, especially for the price. Resistance and image quality are among the serious assets of this model, even if the result is not up to scratch in post-production if the software is not set up correctly.
- Full HD quality display with a resolution equivalent to 1920 x 1080 pixelsItem 2
- Impressive fluidity of images; the camera can deploy up to 120 frames per second
- High quality rendering with megapixels of over 16 and over 17 megapixels for video and photo respectively
- The price-performance ratio is impressive
- Some difficulties in setting up the software correctly to obtain an ideal rendering in post-production
After a more sophisticated model, Kodak seeks accessibility by offering here a balanced action camera, delivering great performance for both photo and video, and even solid construction! The fact remains that post-production is not the camera’s strong point.
4. THE INSTA360 ONE X ACTION CAMERA
- Photos come in 18 megapixel quality.
- It is possible to activate the “50 frames per second” mode for the video in order to obtain a perfect fluidity.
- With FlowState technology, the camera does not experience any jerking and therefore offers a smooth succession of images.
- Images can be transferred via WiFi, and quickly with the supplied cable.
- Several effects included in the camera, such as TimeShift for slow motion
- Offers a mode allowing to make the selfie pole disappear, for a more aesthetic rendering.
- Includes a 32Gb memory card
- Possibility to buy separately a diving case for underwater use of the unit
- The battery is removable and can therefore be replaced without any problem.
- Some difficulties to recognize some phones, so you may have to go over it several times to establish the connection.
While the price may not be adapted to the various consumer budgets, the technical features and performance are much more convincing. The camera is highly efficient, with varying degrees of brightness, and always delivers a balanced picture. As for the various effects, you quickly get hooked, feeling like a budding filmmaker!
5. THE SAMSUNG NEW GEAR 360 ACTION CAMERA
WHAT DO CONSUMERS SAY?
Consumers obviously note the limitations of the device, including limited connectivity and the nonsense of not being able to change the battery. However, they appreciate the overall quality and price of the product, which is ultra competitive when compared to other products in the same range.
- Provides VR (Virtual Reality) functionality
- Integrates 2 image sensors each with 8.4 megapixel resolution
- Excellent battery durability due to Lithium-Ion construction
- Embeds IP53 certification for dust and splash resistance
- The manufacturer’s warranty is 2 years
- Connectivity is limited for smartphones, with only the choice between iPhone or Samsung
- The battery can’t be changed
It’s a real shame that the battery cannot be changed, as this means that when the battery reaches its natural end of life, the device will no longer be usable and will therefore have to be changed. Fortunately, therefore, the price remains attractive and the battery has been designed to last. We also note a misstep by Samsung with its restricted favoritism, not allowing the device to be used on other manufacturers’ smartphones, such as Xiaomi, Huawei, LG, etc.. Nevertheless, the device offers an undeniable value for money and, if you’re aware of its shortcomings, it has a lot of advantages over the competition.
6. THE 360 DEGREE CAMERA BOSCH F01U316304
- Designed as a security camera for the connected home
- HD quality display
- WiFi connection to be able to follow the images directly from your smartphone, via the dedicated application
- Similarly, the device can be remotely controlled via the application
- With Alexa, you can control the camera remotely
- All personal and product-related data is stored on a cloud from the manufacturer Bosch.
- The manufacturer’s warranty is 2 years
- The image quality is slightly distorted due to angulation
- No programming possible
While 360-degree rotating cameras are well known for making videos and photos in an aesthetic, sophisticated and/or fun way, they can also have an interesting security aspect. And it is with this in mind that the manufacturer Bosch has designed the model, which does the job in full. It’s a pity that its functionality hasn’t been pushed further, but compared to the price, the offer is clearly qualitative.
7. THE CAM 360 GARMIN VIRB 360
- Very nice image quality, with 4K display and 40 frames per second
- The machine incorporates 4 microphones to capture the sounds as faithfully as possible.
- The camera can be remotely controlled by voice command.
- Incorporates a stabilization function for the video
- Provides a successful RV experience through the integration of G-Metrix data, such as speed or distance
- Long-lasting autonomy: 1 hour of continuous use without risk of overheating
- Good battery durability thanks to Lithium-ion materials
- The software could be improved to, for example, make it easier to use
- The stabilization function arrives at the post-production stage and not directly on the machine, which reduces its efficiency.
It’s clearly a machine that will please some people… and not others. The price is indeed quite significant, and Garmin is not only focused on the image, but also on the quality of workmanship, durability, and features that are specific to travel and navigation.
8. THE CAM 360
- Can film and take 360-degree pictures
- The device is designed for easy assembly and operation.
- Good manufacturing quality for extended durability
- Fairly good quality for the price
- Allows for multiple effects
- Provides RV functionality
- When the brightness decreases, the picture quality is affected (noise increases considerably).
- In order to use the device, it is necessary to install the dedicated application
9. THE 360°
- In spherical mode, the camera offers a burst mode and 18 megapixel resolution.
- The device is certified watertight to a depth of 5m.
- Can be controlled by voice
- Several accessories are included: brackets, battery, USC-C cable and case.
- Excellent battery durability due to its Lithium construction
- The recording is in 5.2k and can be re-lived in a RV experience.
- Post-production is not very easy, and the image quality decreases.
360 CAMERA BUYING GUIDE: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO BUY IT!
Why buy a 360 camera? The advantages of a 360 camera
The products in our comparison have surely made you want to buy a cam 360; and that’s not surprising! For this reason, we are now giving you all the useful information you need to buy a cam 360, like the most popular brands on the market and recognized for their quality or the criteria you should consider before buying.
But first of all, let’s present the advantages of such a machine. It allows you to make videos at full angulation, just like a panoramic camera… but this time at 360 degrees! These are technological machines with solid features, undeniable video quality and excellent sound capture. As intelligent machines, they are of course connected (to the smartphone, the computer…) and most of the time linked to dedicated apps, which obviously has a lot of advantages.
THE ESSENTIAL CRITERIA TO BUY A CAMERA TO FILM 360 DEGREES
As we did for the comparison, we invite you to look at the technical criteria that you will discover below. Of course, these are only a basis: you can also consider your desires, your expectations, but also your budget constraints, all in order to buy a product that really suits you.
- The number of sensors and the respective megapixels
- Display quality: Full HD, UHD, 4K
- Post-production rendering
- For what purpose? Security and surveillance camera, photo camera, video camera…
- Battery life and quality: choose Lithium Ion
- Connectivity: compatibility, features, network power
- The protections: against shocks, dust, splashes…
- Additional accessories (protective cover, waterproof case, tripod…)
WHAT ARE THE BEST BRANDS FOR A 360 CAM?
There are not only well-known brands in the video and photography industry, but also newcomers who are exclusively in this niche. Many ranges are therefore available for purchase, hence the interest in knowing which manufacturers are most likely to provide the best value for money. The following brands in particular can be found:
- V 360,
It should be noted that while some manufacturers offer accessible products (e.g. Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei or Bosch), other brands prefer to focus exclusively on highly sophisticated products, such as Garmin. It all depends, once again, on your desires and the budget you’re willing to devote to this device!
The best 360 cameras cheap or discounted
The comparison has already given you a good view of the best models available on the market, but they are not the only ones! We therefore invite you to take a look at the products below, which manage to achieve the feat of combining qualitative consumer feedback and numerous sales on the various purchasing platforms.